This month I read 7 books, taking my yearly total to 86. It does not look like I will meet my yearly goal of 100 - I do not see where I will find the time to read 14 books this month...UNLESS the books I read to the kid and the girls count as part of my overall goal. Hmmmmm...lol.
Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close was on a list of books every 20 something woman should read. I know I am a tad bit late with this - but I laughed while reading it. More so because I could relate to the disasterous relationships being held on to because you don't want to be alone and the struggle with finding your place in the professional world while having a passion for what it is you do every day. And let's not forget the never ending barrage of invitations to baby showers, weddings, and bachelorette parties. Never once did I feel as though I missed out on a college experience by not going away and living on campus. But I must admit, the friendships these women formed with each other while experiencing college and life thereafter was very admirable. It's a good thing I have my high school girlfriends to go through life's mishaps with. And the most profound thing I read in this book, Be yourself or be nothing and live humbly but live true.
Sylvia Day's Reflected in You - this is the 2nd novel in her Crossfire series. I was conflicted as I read it - I think it is unhealthy to be in a relationship where you feel as if you cannot function if all of your spare time is not spent with your significant other - like you need them around just to breathe. Day describes this as "the sweet, sharp edge of obsession" - obsession is putting it lightly. There has to be a stronger word for this. I know myself and outside of my time I spend with my partner, I also need me time, family time, friend time and specifically girls days/nights in order to not feel suffocated. But to each its own. At the end of this novel, I am still trying to decide if I prefer Christian Grey's manic over Gideon Cross' - I have one more novel to read before I HAVE to come to my final conclusion - but first Entwined With You needs to be released, so until then I think I am a Grey type of girl although I love how Cross has a lot of pull in NYC (you all know the love affair I have with the city).
In preparation for Thanksgiving, I perused and read 3 cookbooks looking for perfect new recipes to try. They were the Brown Betty Cookbook, In the Kitchen with David, and Tate's Bake Shop Baking for Friends. I found myself lost in the familial stories in 2 of them and lost focus on my objective - creating a dessert menu. It took me many post its and weeks later to narrow it down. I loved the new techniques shared for some of my family's staple desserts Brown Betty shared in the book. They definitely made a difference. David had lots of great recipes I want to try soon - and I actually did brine chicken to fry it - I def wasn't a fan of this technique. But I read online you had to maintain the oil temperature at 300 degrees and I didn't use the deep fryer which allows me to regulate temperature. I didn't get a chance to try too many of the recipes of Tate's Bake Shop because I became so fixated with Brown Betty's. Maybe for Christmas I will dabble more with their recipes.
I read a few free books this month offered on my new kindle paperwhite just so I could play with my new toy. Did I tell you all how much I love it?! I still need to find the perfect case - until then I keep it close to protect it from any damage.
First up was Susan Hatler's An Unexpected Date - a quick read I could relate to. Holly (yes, that really was her name) was about to turn 30 and hadn't been on a date in awhile...sound familiar?! But I will digress.
Then there was Crystal Bowling's Always the Last to Know. This book drove me insane and I just wanted it to end. I guessed the ending way before it happened. Just thankful it was over.
CONVERSATION
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
About me
Yes, Please
Amy Poehler
A collection of stories, thoughts, ideas, lists, and haikus from the mind of one of our most beloved entertainers.
Family Business 3
Carl Weber
What could be worse than fighting a war while your father’s in a coma? How about two brothers and a brother-in-law undermining each other in a battle for their father’s seat at a multimillion-dollar table?
Popular Posts
-
to the song here in my heart. A melody I start, but can't complete ... I don't know about you, but every time I have an interview I ...
-
Santa arrived at our house relatively early this year. Check out what he left behind... Price arrived right after breakfast so it was time t...
-
Remember the beach party I was supposed to attend yesterday with Amber?! Well they did caviar nails!!!! I have been dying to try this for m...
-
I had a phone interview earlier this week and the final question left me stumped - of course, I provided an answer on the spot. However, I f...
-
We all know I am a sucker for nail polish and I love trying new trends, so are you surprised this liquid sand lacquer jumped in my hand when...
-
One of my biggest pet peeves = spelling and grammatical errors. It doesn't matter if it is a tweet, text, email, blog, facebook post, bo...
-
So last night me and my cousins, Kiara, Indigo, and Ayana, decided to go to the movies to see Friends With Benefits - a little girl fun wit...
-
Yesterday my parents celebrated their 27th Wedding Anniversary - YES, 27 years!!! Among most of my friends and my younger cousins, my brothe...
-
For the past two seasons, I have coveted OPI's Russian Navy from afar - never seen it in the store to try it on and could not figure out...
-
Lisa is a great older cousin. We may not see each other often, but I do know if I shoot her an email, she is always quick to respond and alw...
Pinterest Gallery
Search This Blog
Instagram Shots
Tweet Tweet
Welcome
to Holly's World
Like us
Labels
30 to 30
(
32
)
Beauty
(
3
)
Between the Covers
(
48
)
Book
(
35
)
Family Affair
(
66
)
Fashion
(
16
)
Flirting w/ 30
(
60
)
Hair
(
12
)
Holly's World
(
229
)
Movies
(
6
)
Music
(
11
)
Nails
(
24
)
Recipes
(
39
)
Relationships
(
35
)
Single in the City
(
8
)
TV
(
27
)
Sponsor
"I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure & wearing lipstick. I believe in pink."
Audrey Hepburn
0 comments:
Post a Comment